I have just about had it with my children.
I don’t know about you, but I didn’t sign up for all of the terrors that would come with being a parent.
I thought my partner and I would be able to manage a couple of kids together. I mean, there’s one of us for each child… And surely we can outsmart the little boogers? Well, we are definitely smarter than them… But that isn’t going to stop them from burning the house down when we aren’t paying attention. You see, both of my kids have recently entered their difficult teenage years. This means we are getting into a lot of battles recently as they try to express their need for freedom. Unfortunately, that freedom nearly cost us the house last week. My children both like to use portable space heaters in their bedrooms at night because we turn the central heating and cooling system down low to save on energy bills in the evening. As long as we are going to be snuggled up in our warm beds, we do not need as much central heating pumping through the house. My kids love to have the portable space heaters in their bedrooms for some extra warmth. We have talked about the importance of keeping an eye on those portable heaters since my day that we gifted them to my children. Unfortunately, they have recently decided that sneaking out of the house is a bigger priority than turning off their portable heating systems. Last week when both of them departed the house around 12 a.m. they managed to start a small fire after a blanket fell on top of the portable space heater. You can imagine our surprise when we found an empty bedroom and a small flame.